This prayer guide has been provided to pastors in the Florida Baptist Convention to share with our congregations. I share it via this posting in its entirety. I have great concern over Amendment 2 (Florida election) being passed (the "Marijuana Amendment".) Please vote NO on 2 and encourage others to do so as well.
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014, Florida Baptists will have a unique opportunity to exercise their responsibility as Christian citizens to make their collective voice heard on the issues and candidates. Fortunately our hope and trust is not in the results of elections! And the reality is that the spiritual and moral issues facing this nation will not be resolved in the White House, Congress, the Supreme Court or even in the state Legislature. What the United States desperately needs is another Great Awakening!
“The Church must experience a revival that awakens her to the life-changing power of Jesus Christ in her midst,” declares David Butts, chairman of America’s National Prayer Committee. “Such a spiritual awakening within the people of God has the power to bring about true cultural transformation in this nation.”
Of great concern is the proposed Amendment 2 on the November general election ballot which seeks to bring about is unnecessary cultural change to Florida. It is the so-called “Florida Right to Medical Marijuana” This proposed “Medical Marijuana” law is a proverbial “smoke screen” which seeks to legalize marijuana by making it available to anyone and everyone who does not have medical needs.
It is imperative that Florida Baptists vote to defeat Amendment 2!
Check out additional resources available on the website: www.DontLetFlGoToPot.com
Also share with your church members the highlights of the following
2014 Election Prayer Guide
- The Church must experience a revival that awakens her to the life-changing power of Jesus Christ in her midst. Such a spiritual awakening within the people of God has the power to bring about true cultural transformation in this nation. So why pray for the elections? There are a number of compelling reasons:
- The Bible commands us to pray for those who are in leadership. This includes those who are vying to become leaders.
- Godly leaders can help slow the erosion of religious liberties in our land. This can provide an increased window of opportunity for the Church to pray and evangelize.
- According to Scripture, “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people” (Prov. 14:34). The selection of leaders who understand and lead according to God’s righteous standards can bring great blessing to a nation.
- Scripture also says in Proverbs 11:14, “For lack of guidance a nation falls, but many advisors make victory sure.” The determination of who leads our nation will also determine who advises that leader and how we are guided.
We Need to Pray Now
As you pray through this brief guide to the elections, there are several ways you can maximize its usage:
- Let others know about it. Distribute it widely to your friends and to your church.
- Pray with others about its content. Perhaps a weekly prayer meeting held in your home or your church could focus completely on what God desires to do in this upcoming election.
- Allow the Holy Spirit to lead you beyond the content of the prayer guide. There will be many times in which this guide simply jump-starts your prayer time. The Holy Spirit will take this beginning point and lead you into deeper times of intercession for our nation.
Seven Ways to Pray for America
1. The Church—The Church is often relegated to the sidelines, considered irrelevant and out of touch. Though we sometimes deserve that critique, God has a completely different perspective on what His people are to be and how we are to function. In Ephesians 3:10, the Apostle Paul writes, “His [God’s] intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known….”
Though seemingly powerless in the eyes of the world, the Church—through righteousness, prayer, and the power of the Holy Spirit—releases the wisdom of God into any and every culture. Pray today for the Church in America, that:
- Our eyes will be opened to see the hope to which we are called (Eph.1:18).
- We will experience in a fresh, new way the Presence of Christ in revival.
- Believers will be given the faith to believe that their votes will make a difference.
- A spirit of repentance and humility will be poured out upon the people of God.
- [Believers enter open doors to share the Gospel and how Jesus impacts every level of living.]
2. The Voters—The Great American Experiment in representative government for more than 200 years has depended upon voter involvement. From the very beginning of our nation there has been debate on who should be allowed the privilege of casting a vote to select our governmental leaders. The weight of history has increasingly opened the ballot box to more and more individuals.
This requires an educated electorate who will examine the issues and the candidates and vote in a way that is best for the nation, not just their own well-being. Much prayer is needed for this critical process. Pray today for voters in the United States, that:
- Wisdom will be sought from God (James 1:5).
- Self-interest will be laid aside for the common good.
- Discernment between truth and falsehood will be clear.
3. The Candidates—In the early years of our nation, it was thought to be in bad taste to even be seen wanting an office, much less actually campaigning. Oh, how things have changed! Now candidates for public office, especially at higher levels, put themselves and their families through a rigorous process that brings every aspect of their lives into public view. It has become so intense that many good individuals have chosen not to endure the sort of public scrutiny that is an integral part of the campaigning process today. Praying for candidates does not mean praying just for those you agree with or support. All are leaders and potential leaders in our nation—and as such, all need our prayers. Pray today for candidates for office in the United States, that:
- They will take brave stands for righteousness, even when it may not be well received.
- Their families will be protected from harm and unnecessary scrutiny.
- They will surround themselves with godly advisors.
- They will focus on the issues we face as a nation and not on personal attacks on other candidates.
4. The Media—In our day of 24-hour news coverage, the media have taken on a huge role in our election process. Handling media correctly sometimes seems to take precedence in a campaign over actually dealing with issues. The media themselves often forget their role of informing and reporting and have become endorsers and supporters, even while they try to deny that role. Increased prayer for the media is an essential way for Christians to impact an election. Pray today for the media in America, that:
- Truth in reporting and election coverage will become a high value.
- Media bias will disappear.
- Christianity will receive fair coverage in all reports.
- Hope will become a part of the message of the media.
5. The Impact on the Nations—In our rapidly shrinking world, what happens in one country has an effect on others. This is especially true for the United States. The individuals who hold the presidency and Senate and Congressional seats will make decisions that impact the rest of the world. Whether those decisions help or harm the people of the world is largely determined by the choices that Americans make at the polls. We need to pray that our choices will serve to bless the world. Pray today for the election and its impact on the world, that:
- Voters will consider the foreign policies of candidates and how they fit with biblical principles.
- The activities of other nations will not have an undue influence on our elections.
- The result of U.S. elections will serve to spread the gospel around the globe.
- The U.S. will stand firm in its commitment to Israel’s right to exist as a nation.
6. Spiritual Warfare Surrounding the Elections—Nothing is achieved in the Kingdom of God without warfare. That includes the election of righteous individuals to the leadership of one of the key nations on the planet. As we pray, we must expect the enemy to attack in many ways. There will be attacks on candidates and their families, on the media, the Church, and perhaps the nation itself. Some will be clearly spiritual, while other attacks may have physical manifestations. Our call is to have great discernment as we pray and stand in the strength of Christ’s victory. Pray today around the spiritual warfare issues involved in the election, such as:
- Great awareness and discernment for the Lord’s praying people as they pray over the election.
- Physical protection for all candidates and their families throughout this campaign season.
- A strong hedge of protection around the nation itself during this time of decision.
- The unleashing of the sword of the Spirit throughout the nation, judging the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).
7. The Purposes of God—Ultimately, whatever the area of prayer emphasis, we must always come back to the purposes of God. Jesus taught us to pray, “Your Kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven” (Mt. 6:10). As we pray for something as important as national elections, we must lay down our own desires and take up the desires of God. What we really desire is for the Lord’s purposes to be achieved in and through our nation. All of our requests must be couched in words and thoughts that focus our hearts on the Kingdom of God. Pray today for the purposes of God to be accomplished in the U.S. elections:
- Pray that the U.S. will turn and seek first the Kingdom of God.
- Pray that God will be honored in the midst of this election campaign.
- Pray for opportunities for Christians to share their faith and their values in the midst of this election process.
- Pray that the results of the 2014 elections will please the Lord and release His blessing over this nation.
Developed by: By David Butts, chairman of America’s National Prayer Committee and founder/president of Harvest Prayer Ministries. © 2011 Harvest Prayer Ministries, PRAYERCONNECT magazine. Used by permission.
[Bracketed material [--] added by Prayer and Spiritual Awakening Team, Florida Baptist Convention