Some points from James 3 to ponder:
- Not everyone should be a teacher.
- Those who do teach are held to higher scrutiny.
- What we say reveals what is in our heart.
- You cannot have negative speech and a positive heart.
- A Christian has not just surrendered his/her heart to God, but his/her entire life (mind, soul, spirit, mouth, etc.)
- James is really not talking about using profanity here (though that's not encouraged either) but about Christians who can praise God with their mouths in one moment and then curse their brothers and sisters in Christ in the next. "This ought not be so."